Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The Art of Getting By

  1. "I read a quote once when I was a kid "We live alone, We die alone. Everything else is just an illusion." it used to keep me up at night. We all die alone. So, why am I supposed to spend my life working, sweating, struggling? …For an illusion? Because no amount of friends, no girl, no assignments about conjugating the pluperfect or determining the square root of hypotenuse is gonna help me avoid my fate. I have better things to do with my time."


"I just feel like I'm full of shit, like I'm trying to be something that I'm not."

"Since the dawn of recorded history, something like 110 billion human beings have been born into this world. And not even a single one of them made it. There are 6.8 billion people on the planet. Roughly 60 million of them die every year. 60 million people. That comes out to about 160,000 people per day."


  1. George: "I'm allergic to hormones."
  2. Sally: "What hormones?"
  3. George: "Mine."

"I'm the teflon slacker."


  1. Sally: "Do you have any friends, George?"
  2. George: "I'm kind of a misanthrope. Not a choice, just a fact."


"Happiness is something that has to be looked after, something you have to be vigilant about."


Sally: "I have fears but I thought they were pretty run-of-the-mill:

pain, death."
George: "Not me. I fear life."

"Just be careful, they have an easier time of getting by than you do."

"I'm in love with you. I always have been. I thought you were the unfair one, but it was unfair of me not to say it. So I've said it. I was nothing. I felt like nothing. Less than. You changed that."

George: "Rule number 1 about cutting school."
George: "Cutting school is fun. "
Sally: "That's a rule?" 

"Uhh, I don't know. Uhh, you were doing something so renegade that I thought you deserved to get away with it. I run afoul of the authorities so often, I figured I could handle it better than you."

"Everything seems meaningless, including the assignment, unfortunately."

George: "Rule number 3 -" 


Sally: "You're a dork."
George: "Wrong. Noodles."
Sally: "Noodles?" 


Dustin: "Isn't it better that it is me? I opposed to some douchebag she just met and wouldn't even let you look at her."
George: "You want me to thank you!"
Dustin: "I actually felt something. That doesn't always happen, it hasn't happened in a very long time... and I have lived long enough to know that when it does, you should act on it. I didn't think you were ready."

"I'm serious. I was happy. I was open. I was curious. But I'll tell you this: I knew when it was ending. I was overwhelmed with sadness when I realized that I was going to change, and that it was all most likely going to get worse, like a nostalgia for the present. I couldn't shake it... What? I'm weird, right?"

Dustin: "You and George should be together, Sally."
Sally: "We're just friends."
Dustin: "There's no such thing."

"You're going to have to start using that brain of yours to access that talent of yours to show that beautiful heart of yours."

"Women like being desired. Just throw her up against a wall and start kissing her. Chances are she'll kiss you back, and if she doesn't, at least you tried. You've got to do something or else you'll lose her."


"You know, ticklish people make great lovers. Everything is erogenous."

"My favorite part of the book is how the town's layout us described from the perspective of a bee traveling from one side of town to the other. It's so visual. So, I guess what Hardy's doing is aligning his point of view not with an all-seeing God but with an insect: the tiniest, humblest creature in nature. Which is pretty Romantic."

"There you go again with the mind games. Treacherous, sadistic little hussy."

George: "I'm trying to speak to you honestly."
Vivian: "I don't care, I can't listen to your lies anymore."

"Don't play the angles, George. They don't work. Neither do jokes."


Sally: "You know we're gonna be together one day. We have to sort through all of our messed-up issues and... you have to sleep with a lot of girls to get it out of your system."
George: "Don't go. Please."
Sally: "It's a long life. We're not done."
George: "Treacherous, sadistic little hussy."
Sally: "I love you too."

No comments:

Post a Comment